SACRED HEART (11-9, 8-1 NEC) VS MOUNT ST. MARY'S (5-15, 3-6)
GAME 21 * Emmitsburg, MD.* *Knott Arena*
The Sacred Heart women's basketball team is on a five game winning streak, recently defeating the Blackbirds of LIU Brooklyn, 66-48 on Saturday. SHU hits the road Monday to take on the Mountaineers of Mount St. Mary's for their second game of the season. The Pioneers hold a 8-1 record in the NEC and are tied for the number one spot in the rankings.
Inside the Series...
- SHU leads the all-time series with Mount St. Mary's 29-5, and currently have a seven game winning streak after sweeping the Mountaineers the last two season, and picking up a win this year
- The match-up sits at 8-1, in the past four seasons. The last time Mount St. Mary's picked up a victory over the Pioneers was 2/15/14 in a regular season game that ended 76-63
- SHU's Adaysha Williams, and Kimmel have started in all eight games against the Mountaineers in the past four seasons only losing once
Scouting the Mount...
- Mount St. Mary's comes into Saturday's NEC competition owning a 2-9 record after the non-conference slate. The Recently opened up NEC play taking on LIU Brooklyn where they lost 63-60
- The Mountaineers have been on a two game losing streak since starting NEC play, most recently falling to Robert Morris 50-44
- Going into Saturdays contest the Mountaineers don't lead any major categories in the NEC.
SHU Against the NEC...
- The Pioneers are 218-93 against Northeast Conference opponents all-time, and 207-71 during the Division I era
- Sacred Heart has winning records against all league foes, posting winning records against Bryant (14-10), Central Connecticut (30-17), Fairleigh Dickinson (27-3), LIU Brooklyn (19-16), Mount St. Mary's (30-5), Robert Morris (23-10), St. Francis Brooklyn (27-12), Saint Francis U (22-11) and Wagner (26-9)
- SHU is the only team to make the NEC Tournament every year while a member of the league dating back to the 1999-00 season
Last Time They Met...
- The Sacred Heart womens basketball team improved to 10-9 and 7-1 in the NEC after a late comeback led by Shelby Hickey to defeat the Mountaineers of Mount St. Mary's 49-45. Katherine Haines recorded her third double-double of the season as she finished with 11 points, and 13 rebounds.
- The Pioneers struck first as Adaysha Williams would drive to the basket for a layup.
- Shelby Hickey came up clutch for Sacred Heart draining a must needed three from the corner with :23 seconds remaining to give the Pioneers a 47-45 advantage. SHU would go on to win 49-45
Kimmel vs. The Mountaineers...
Hannah Kimmel has posted double digit scoring against the Mount in all seven games, averaging 15.9 PPG. She has recorded a double-double in three of the seven games taking on Mount St. Mary's, and averages just shy with 9.7 rebounds. She has recorded double-digits scoring in eight of the nine NEC games, and continued the trend, putting up 20 points in Sacred Heart 66-48 win against LIU Brooklyn
The Pioneers have jumped off to a great start to NEC play, posting a 7-1 record so far. After falling to Central Connecticut State earlier in the year, SHU has been on a tear, posting six straight wins.
Ice In Her Veins...
Senior Shelby Hickey hit a game winning three to put the Pioneers ahead of the Mountaineers with just 30 seconds remaining in regulations. She would go on to score 9 points total, but shot a perfect 6-6 from the free throw line in Monday's contest against Mount St. Mary's.