GAME 28 SACRED HEART (16-11, 13-3 NEC) VS ROBERT MORRIS (17-10, 12-4 NEC)
*Moon Township, PA.* *Charles L. Sewall Center*
Saturday, February 25, 2017 – 12:00 p.m.
The Sacred Heart women's basketball team head into their final weekend of the regular season sitting in first place in the NEC. The Pioneers take on the #2 Colonials of Robert Morris this Saturday, and the #3 Red Flash of Saint Francis U on Monday.
Inside the Series...
- SHU leads the all-time series with Robert Morris 23-11, most recently taking down the Colonials to open up NEC play this season
- Robert Morris and Sacred Heart sit among the top of the divison as the Pioneers hold the top spot, with the Colonials just one game behind.
- These two teams have a history from last year that left the regular season champs, (Sacred Heart) heartbroken on their home court, as Robert Morris defeated SHU 56-51 to take the NEC tournament crown.
Last Time They Met...
- Shelby Hickey opened up conference play for the Sacred Heart women's basketball teams going a perfect 8-8 from the floor and posting a career high 23 points. The Senior drained seven shots from downtown to help the Pioneers down Robert Morris 69-59. Katherine Haines registered her first career double-double as she grabbed 14 rebounds and 12 points.
- Four Pioneers finished in double-digits for the first time this season. In addition to Haines and Hickey, Hannah Kimmel and Adaysha Williams tallied 18 and 14 points respectively
- The Pioneers snagged 35 rebounds in the contest
Scouting the Colonials...
- Robert Morris comes into Monday's contest with an 17-10 record. The Colonials are currently in second place owning a 12-4 record in the NEC
- Robert Morris was recently on a tear, with a nine game winning streak. The hot streak was snapped most recently as they fell to Bryant in a close 62-59 thriller
- Going into Saturday's contest the Colonials lead the NEC in scoring defense, scoring margin, field goal percentage, 3PT field goal percentage, and rebounding defense
Pioneers on the Road...
Sacred Heart goes into Saturday's game 6-8 on the road after most recently defeating LIU Brooklyn, 51-41. The Pioneers are 4-3 on the road in conference play, where their four wins came from Wagner 70-56, Bryant 65-53, St. Francis Brooklyn 81-74, and LIU Brooklyn 51-41. The Pioneers only Conference defeats have been on the road, but look to close out regular season play with their toughest road weekend of the season.
The Pioneers have had to spark late energy in their last two contests, as they were brought into overtime by the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights, but were able to outscore the Knights 16-8 in overtime and pick up a 68-60 win.
The Pioneers trailed by 9 points at one point, against the LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds but after posting 19 points, and holding the Blackbirds to 6 points in the fourth quarter they pulled off the 51-41 win.
The View From The Top...
The Pioneers have been on a tear this season as they sit at the number one spot going into the final weekend of the regular season. As Robert Morris recently broke their nine game win streak, the Pioneers hold the #1 spot, and with a ring in sight, the Pioneers have their eyes on the prize to get the job done this season.
The Pioneers are 9-0 at home against the NEC, with a big road weekend against Robert Morris and Saint Francis U, SHU looks to come out with big wins to secure the home court advantage going into the conference tournament. Against NEC opponents the Pioneers are also undefeated on Saturday, as the three lone losses came on Monday's on the road.