GAME 29 SACRED HEART (16-12, 13-4 NEC) VS SAINT FRANCIS U (15-13, 12-5 NEC)
*Loretto, PA.* *Degol Arena*
Saturday, February 25, 2017 – 12:00 p.m.
The Sacred Heart women's basketball team head into their final game of the regular season sitting in first place in the NEC. The Pioneers take on the #3 Red Flash of Saint Francis U on Monday, on ESPN3.
Inside the Series...
- SHU leads the all-time series with Saint Francis U 23-11, and currently have a five game winning streak, after downing the Red Flash earlier this season
- Saint Francis U sits third in the NEC, just one game behind the Pioneers, and Colonials.
- Scoring points is a trend between these two teams. SHU averages 91.87 PPG in the last three seasons against the Red Flash, while SFU averages 86.37 PPG taking on the Pioneers
- In the 2013-14 NEC quarter finals game these two teams set a NCAA record for most points combined in a game where SFU took the 132-124 double OT battle
Scouting the Red Flash...
- Saint Francis U comes into Monday's contest with an 15-13 record. The Red Flash are currently in third place owning a 12-5 record in the NEC
- Saint Francis U was recently on a tear, with a seven game winning streak. The hott streak was snapped as they lost to Robert Morris but have got back to their winning ways as they are on a two game win streak, most recently beating Fairleigh Dickinson73-64
- Going into Monday's contest the Red Flash lead the NEC in scoring offense, blocked shots, assists, steals, turnover margin, and 3PT field goals made
Last Time They Met...
- Katherine Haines recorded her second double-double in as many games as SHU took a 73-63 win over Saint Francis U. Hannah Kimmel tied for a game high with 18 points, and was one of four Pioneers to reach double-figure scoring
- With her second rebound of the third quarter, Haines posted her second straight double-double totaling 14 points and 16 rebounds, a career high
- The Pioneers combined for a season high 52 rebounds, blowing away the previous season high of 38 set at Binghamton.
Pioneers on the Road...
Sacred Heart goes into Monday's game 6-9 on the road after most recently falling to Robert Morris 66-56. The Pioneers are 4-4 on the road in conference play, where their four wins came from Wagner 70-56, Bryant 65-53, St. Francis Brooklyn 81-74, and LIU Brooklyn 51-41. The Pioneers only Conference defeats have been on the road, but look to close out regular season play with an important matchup in Loretto, PA
Haines Haines Haines...
Katherine Haines has become a powerhouse down low as she recently recorded her eighth double-double of the season. Haines finished the night against RMU with a new career high in points with 23, and a new career high rebounds with 18.
Giving Them Away...
The Pioneers were led by Katherine Haines in the last outting, as she went 11-13 at the free throw line. The team shot .842 (16-19) at the charity stripe and with their last time taking on the Red Flash they attempted 28 free throws, so if history repeats itself, the Pioneers will capitalize on the free points
The Pioneers are 9-0 at home against the NEC, with a big road weekend against Robert Morris and Saint Francis U, SHU looks to come out with big wins to secure the home court advantage going into the conference tournament. Against NEC opponents the Pioneers are also undefeated on Saturday, as the three lone losses came on Monday's on the road.