FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Exactly one week after opening the season, the Sacred Heart women's basketball team will take to the court at the Pitt Center for the first time this season. Both teams are coming off opening night defeats as SHU fell at UMass 78-61 last Tuesday, while Siena dropped a 58-51 decision at home to Penn on Saturday.
Tuesday's matchup will be the eighth all-time between the Pioneers and the Saints. Sacred Heart leads the all-time series 4-3 over Siena, including a 3-1 mark at the Pitt Center. SHU is 2-3 in home-openers under Jessica Mannetti.
- Sacred Heart outscored UMass 25-18 in the fourth quarter and 38-37 in the second half of their season-opening loss.
- After struggling to connect in the second quarter (1-for-13), SHU turned things around in the second half by connecting on 48.3 percent (14-for-29) of their field goals.
- SHU also rebounded by committing only three turnovers in the second half, after a dozen giveaways in the opening 20 minutes.
PILOTING THE PIONEERS
- Grad student Erin Storck led the way for SHU with a game-high 20 points on 7-of-15 shooting.
- Storck led the Pios in scoring eight times last season.
- Candice Leatherwood and Katherine Haines tallied six rebounds apiece, while Leatherwood led SHU with four assists.
- Siena is coming off a hard-fought 58-51 loss to Penn at home in their season opener on Saturday.
- Junior Maddie Sims led the Saints with 14 points and freshman Margo Peterson scored 10 points in her collegiate debut.
- The Saints outscored the Quakers 30-20 in the paint and 21-18 off turnovers.
- Sims is the Saints' leading returning scorer, rebounder, and shot blocker from last year's squad. She ranked in the top-10 in the MAAC last season in points (9.5), rebounds (6.3) and blocks (1.2) per game.
- Siena was picked third in the MAAC preseason poll for the second time in three years, coming in behind Marist and two-time reigning champion, Quinnipiac.
- Siena went 17-14 (11-7 MAAC) last season before advancing to the conference semifinals, where they fell to Marist.
LAST TIME OUT
- SHU last took on Siena on December 12, 2016 at the Pitt Center, and improved to 3-7 on the season with a thrilling 62-58 win.
- Then-senior Adaysha Williams scored 22 points to become the 20th Pioneer in program history to score 1,000 career points.
- Erin Storck tallied eight points and eight rebounds for SHU.
- Williams capped off a nine-point streak with a triple, beating the third quarter buzzer to give SHU a 46-43 lead.
- The Pioneers picked up right where they left off in the fourth, scoring the first five points of the period to expand their lead to eight points, 51-43.
- The Saints cut SHU's lead to just one point, 57-56, with 42 seconds left, but Sacred Heart sank five foul shots before the end of the game to lock down its first home win of the season.