FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Sacred Heart University women's basketball team fell 55-50 to visiting Monmouth University on Sunday afternoon at the Pitt Center. The loss drops the Pioneers to 2-3 on the year, while the Hawks improve to 2-4.
Monmouth trailed 45-43 with less than three minutes remaining in the fourth quarter before closing the game by hitting four straight field goals and going 2-for-2 at the line to pull out the win.
SHU was held under 30 percent shooting for the second straight game (27.1 percent), while the Hawks shot 38.6 percent. Monmouth held a 41-34 edge on the boards, as well as a 12-3 advantage in second chance points. Both teams scored 12 points off turnovers.
Redshirt senior Candice Leatherwood scored a game-high 13 points while contributing three assists and three steals. Sophomore Adrianne Hagood scored 12 points and added a pair of steals, sophomore Asia McCray tallied eight points off the bench, grad student Erin Storck hauled in five rebounds and four steals, and sophomore Olivia Dabney totaled five rebounds.
- Monmouth jumped out to an 11-4 lead over the first five minutes.
- Leatherwood converted a conventional three-point play off a midcourt steal to make it 11-8, which was followed by a pair of Allyson Murphy free throws to cut it to 11-10.
- A Monmouth three-pointer pushed it to 14-10, sparking a 6-0 run to end the period and bring the score to 17-10.
- The Pioneers allowed only six second quarter points, holding Monmouth to 3-of-15 shooting in the period and outscoring them 15-6.
- The Pioneers started strong, scoring the first four points, before Monmouth pushed its advantage to 21-16 at the 6:40 mark.
- A pair of McCray free throws got SHU within a point, and McCray gave the Pioneers the lead by going up and under for a layup while drawing the foul. She knocked down the ensuing free throw to give SHU its first lead, 23-21 with 2:55 to play in the first half.
- SHU scored nine unanswered to take a 25-21 lead after a pair of Hagood free throws, before Monmouth got a layup with one second remaining to make it 25-23 going into the locker room.
- After a short drought by both teams to open the half, Dabney knocked down a three for the Pioneers for the first points of the quarter.
- McCray drained a three at the 5:01 mark to push the lead to 33-29.
- Hagood hit 1-of-2 at the line at the 2:44 mark to give the Pioneers a 34-31 lead.
- After empty possessions for both squads, Monmouth cut it to 34-33 on a Lucy Thomas layup with 1:08 to go.
- Just 14 seconds later, a Hawks' steal at midcourt led to an Emani Clough basket, giving Monmouth the lead, 35-34, and forcing a SHU timeout.
- Out of the huddle, Hagood knocked down a long three to help SHU regain the 37-35 advantage, a score that held into the fourth quarter.
- Davis scored the first points of the fourth quarter at 8:35 to make it 39-37.
- Thomas connected on a spinning layup in the paint at the 6:10 mark to give Monmouth the 40-39 lead.
- Leatherwood answered with a jumper on the next possession for the 41-40 Pioneer advantage.
- Rosa Graham hit a three for Monmouth at 4:42 to put the Hawks back in front 43-41, then Hagood drew SHU even with a pair of free throws coming out of the media timeout at 4:26.
- Leatherwood put SHU back on top with a pair of free throws with 3:56 remaining.
- From there, Monmouth hit each of its final four field goal attempts, beginning with a pair of three-pointers from Clough, hitting the first from in front of her own bench, and the next one from the elbow to push the lead to 49-45 with 1:44 left.
- Kanguide sandwiched a Monmouth bucket with a free throw, then sank a jumper at the rim to make it 51-48 with 39 seconds remaining.
- Clough and Hagood traded jumpers in the final 10 seconds, but Monmouth used a pair of free throws with less than three seconds remaining to lock down the five-point win.
Next up, the Pioneers will hit the road on Thursday evening for a matchup at Hofstra at 7 p.m.