BETHLEHEM, Pa.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Basketball team (3-5 overall, 0-0 NEC) fell to Lehigh (7-2 overall, 0-0 Patriot) by a final score of 70-66. A late fourth quarter comeback by the Pioneers brought the team within just three points of tying the game before the conclusion of the fourth quarter.
Redshirt senior Candice Leatherwood scored a career high 31 points, shooting 12-20 from the field while firing 4-7 from beyond the arc. Graduate student Katherine Haines was second on team in points tallying 14 on the day shooting 3-11 from the field and 1-3 from three point land. She also went 7-7 from the free throw line.
- SHU would score its first points the game 2-2 off a layup by Allyson Murphy at 8:28.
- The Pioneers would shoot 4-15 from the field while Lehigh went an impressive 11-17 from the field.
- Lehigh would dominate the boards as they compiled 12 to SHU's five.
- The Pioneers would shoot much better in the second quarter as they shot 41.7% from the field to help tighten the Lehigh lead.
- From three point land the Pioneers would be less aggressive but more accurate as they shot 2-4 from beyond the arc.
- At the end of the first half redshirt senior Candice Leatherwood would lead the team with 12 points going 4-7 from the field while nailing 50% of threes.
- SHU would kick of the third period by going on a 6-0 run to tighten the Lehigh lead to 12 points.
- Katherine Haines would draw two fouls and make all four free throws to help keep SHU on its run.
- The Pioneers would shoot 5-12 from the field while holding Lehigh to shooting 4-17.
- Leatherwood would add six points in the third period to keep the score within reach as the Pioneers out-scored the Mountain Hawks in the third 21-13.
- The comeback train would continue in the fourth as the Pioneers would go 6-18 from the field and holding Lehigh to just nine shots.
- Candice Leatherwood would score 12 points in the final quarter as the Pioneers would rack up another 21 points in the fourth to cut the Lehigh lead to just six.
- Lehigh's free throws would be clutch though in the closing seconds as after a Leatherwood three cut the Mountain Hawks lead to three and free throw increased the Lehigh lead to four to make the final score 70-66.