FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Basketball team will hit the road on Saturday to face #18 Kentucky. Tip-off is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. and can be streamed on SEC Network+ via ESPN.
- Sacred Heart concludes it's non-conference slate as the Pioneers face #18 Kentucky for the first time in program history.
- The Pioneers are facing Kentucky for the very first time in program history as SHU faces a power-five conference team for the first time this season.
- The Pioneers are scoring an average of 71.8 points per game when the outcome was a win for the Pioneers.
- As a team, SHU ranks second in the NEC in scoring defense (61.9) and ranks fourth scoring offense (61.8), eighth in rebounding margin (-9.4) and seventh 3FG made/game (5.7)
- The Pioneers as a team rank sixth in the NEC in three-point percentage as they rack up 31.3% from beyond the arc.
PILOTING THE PIONEERS
- Graduate student Katherine Haines scored 18 points while contributing 10 rebounds and went 10-10 from the free throw line against Saint Joseph's.
- Graduate student Erin Storck scored 13 points as she went 5-10 from the field and 2-2 from the free-throw line.
SCORING D HIGH NOTE FOR PIOS
- The Pioneers are currently ranked second in the Northeast Conference in scoring defense as they tally 61.9 points which is the second lowest in the conference behind Robert Morris who averages 59.8 a game.
MURPHY MAKING BIG STRIDES
- Junior guard Allyson Murphy has started the past three games for the Pioneers as she currently averages 5.5 points a game.
- Murphy has been strong in her rebounding game as she tallied four in the win against Manhattan on December 16.
- She has scored in double digits in two of the games this season the first scoring a career high 12 points against New Hampshire.
LAST TIME OUT
- SHU fell 61-44 to visiting Saint Joseph's on December 20 at the Pitt Center. The Pioneers fall to 4-6 on the year, while the Hawks improve to 3-7.
- Katherine Haines led all scorers with 18 points, hitting 10-10 at the free throw line. She also pulled in 10 rebounds, a game-high, to record her third double-double of the season. Erin Storck was also in double figures, scoring 13 for the Pioneers.
- Alyssa Monaghan led the Hawks with 13 points and was joined in double figures by Whisper Fisher, who finished with 10 points and a team-best nine rebounds.
SCOUTING THE WILDCATS
- The Wildcats are coming off a recent win to continue the team's three game winning streak as Kentucky defeated Murray State by a final score of 88-49. The team improved its record to 12-1 on the year and pushed the Wildcats to be ranked number 18 in the most recent Women's College Basketball Poll.
- Kentucky is led by freshman guard Rhyne Howard who averages 18.5 points a game and also leads the team in total points (240), rebounds per game (6.8), and in three point percentage (48.6%).
- Howard is currently second the Southeastern Conference in points per game.
- From the field Kentucky's leading shooter is senior guard Taylor Murray who is shooting 54.3% from the field and is third on team in points per game averaging 14.3 points. Murray also currently leads the SEC in steals per game averaging 3.6 a game.
- The Wildcats currently outscore opponents with a +25.6 scoring margin as the team averages 81.0 points a game while holding the opponent to just 55.4 a game.
- Coming into Saturday's game, the Wildcats haven't lost a home game this season with the teams one loss coming against in-state rival Louisville as the Wildcats fell 80-75.