The Sacred Heart University women's basketball team opened Northeast Conference play with a 66-61 win over visiting Central Connecticut State University on Saturday afternoon at the Pitt Center. The win improves the Pioneers to 5-7 on the year and 1-0 in the league, while the Blue Devils fall to 3-8 overall and 0-1 in NEC action.
Katherine Haines led all scorers with 23 points, and recorded her fourth double-double of the season, with 10 rebounds. Erin Storck tallied 15 points for the Pioneers, while Adrianne Hagood tallied 11 points.
SHU continues its year opening homestand on Monday, when it hosts LIU Brooklyn at 6pm at the Pitt Center.
- CCSU bracketed halftime with a 13-0 run that turned a 12-point deficit into a one-point lead, 32-31 with 7:26 to play in the third quarter
- Hagood drained a three with 6:00 top lay in quarter to put SHU back in front and CCSU would never regain the lead
- SHU took command of the game with a 7-0 run over stretch late in the third, that broke a 38-38 tie
- The Blue Devils would close within four points in the closing seconds of the fourth quarter, but could not get within a possession
- The Pioneers jumped out to a 7-2 start, with a three from Storck 47 ticks into the period making the score 5-0
- CCSU rallied to close within one, 9-8 with 2:32 to play in the period, before Storck and Candice Leatherwood tallied baskets to propel the Pioneers to a 13-9 lead at the break
- The Pioneers hit their first four shots of the second quarter, pushing the advantage to 13, 24-11, at the 8:16 mark
- CCSU was able to close within nine, 26-17, on a Ashley Berube basket midway through the quarter
- Storck scored bracketed another Berube basket with a pair of free throws and a three-pointer to again make the Pioneer lead a dozen, 31-19, with 3:12 to play
- CCSU scored the final four points of the half, closing to within 31-23 at the break
- The Blue Devils run continued in the second half, as CCSU scored the first nine points of the period, to take its first lead, 32-21 2:34 into the half
- A Haines fast break basket was answered by a jumper in the paint from Kiana Patterson, for a 34-33 CCSU lead with 6:16 to play
- Hagood drained a three pointer with 6:00 to play in the third quarter to put SHU back in front 36-34
- Hagood broke a 38-38 tie with a jumper at the 4:15 mark to put the Pioneers in front for good
- Candice Leatherwood knocked down a three-pointer with 6:33 to play in the quarter, pushing the Pioneers lead back to double digits, 56-45
- The lead was 11 as Hagood made the second of two free throws with 3:51 to play, 58-47, before the Blue Devils scored six straight to close within five, 64-59, when Ashley Forker knocked down a three with 25 seconds remaining
- The Pioneers committed just 10 turnovers in the game while recorded five steals on 13 Blue Devil turnovers
- SHU outrebounded CCSU 40-33, with a 15-7 edge on the offensive glass
- Haines has 42 rebounds in the last four games, recording at least 10 in each of those games
- Storck has reached double figures in points in the Pioneers last four games
- CCSU held a 34-24 edge on points in the paint