The Sacred Heart University field hockey team fell 3-2 in double overtime at Northeast Conference foe Long Island University, Friday afternoon. The loss drops the Pioneers to 4-12 overall and 2-2 in league play, while the Sharks improve to 6-7 on the year and 3-1 in NEC action.
Sammy Bell scored a breakaway goal 1:06 into the second overtime, her second tally of the game, to give LIU the win.
The Pioneers return to action on Sunday when they host Wagner at Johnson Field, for Senior Day. The Senior Day ceremony will begin at 12:50 p.m.
- A long clearing pass put Bell into the offensive end, and she beat one defender to get to cage for the tally, 66 seconds into the overtime victory
By The Numbers
- LIU outshot the Pioneers 18-10 on the afternoon and 12-7 in shots on goal
- Hailey Powers stopped nine shots for the Pioneers
- The Sharks earned 14 penalty corners, to the Pioneers seven
- Rachel Vellis made five saves in net for LIU
- Sammy Bell gave LIU a 1-0 lead in the opening minutes, collecting a pass and scoring from the top of the circle
- Bridget Kelly answered midway through the half, scoring off the corner form a Kelsy Hopkins pass
- Emily Alexis put the Pioneers in front, collecting a loose ball after a SHU penalty corner, and pushing the ball through the goalkeeper's legs at 23:33
- Hailey Power kept the Pioneers in front in the 44th minute, stopping an Alexis Ruiz penalty stroke
- Power made another diving saving, 2:03 into the final stanza, amid a flurry of LIU penalty corners
- LIU tallied the equalizer with 12:39 to play, as Alexis Ruiz deflected a ball into the net
- The Pioneers outshot LIU 4-1 in overtime, with Vellis making three saves
- SHU possessed the ball for nearly the entire first minute of the second overtime period, before the long pass led to the Bell tally