The Sacred Heart University field hockey team fell 3-0 to Northeast Conference host, Rider University, Friday night. The loss drops the Pioneers fall to 5-13 on the year and 3-3 in league play, while the Broncs improve to 12-5 on the season and 5-1 in NEC play.
Hailey Power made 20 saves for the Pioneers, her second match this season reaching that number. She made a save on a penalty stroke in the third quarter.
SHU finishes the NEC schedule in fourth place and will face top-seeded Fairfield University in the NEC Tournament semifinals, Friday at Wagner College. Rider earns the second-seed and will take on LIU on Friday.
SHU closes the regular season at home on Sunday, when it hosts Georgetown. The 11:00 am game will be played on Johnson Field in New Haven, Conn.
By The Numbers
- Rider outshot the Pioneers 28-1 Friday night
- The Broncs had 15 corners in the match
- Hailey Power stopped four shots in the opening quarter
- Rider earned three penalty corners in the first quarter
- Rider put six shots on cage in the second quarter, all stopped by Power
- Kelsy Hopkins put the Pioneers first sot of the game on net, but it was saved by Lena Vandam
- The Broncs earned four penalty corners in the stanza
- Rider broke through at 40:52 on a goal by Kaitlyn Flemming, as she collected a rebound of a save from Power
- Brittan Romanczuk gave Rider a 2-0 lead on a penalty stroke with 10:55 to play in regulation
- Julia Divorra scored the final tally, from Tess van Ommeren with 2:35 to play