The Sacred Heart University women's ice hockey team fell 3-1 to New England Women's Hockey Association foe St. Anselm's College, Saturday afternoon at the Rinks at Shelton. The Pioneers fall to 2-3-1 overall and 2-1-1 in NEWHA action, while the Hawks improve to 1-0-1 on the year and in conference action.
Katy Meehan recorded a hat trick to pace the Hawks scoring efforts, tallying a goal in each period. Her second period goal was on the power play.
SHU is back in action next weekend, playing a home-and-home series with Johnson and Wales. The Pioneers are on the road Friday and will host on Saturday, at 5:30 pm.
- Meehan wasted little time putting the Hawks on the board, scoring 64 seconds into the first stanza
- The Hawks outshot SHU 11-8 in the period, with Frankie Sanchez making 10 saves in the period
- Meehan netted passes from Amanda Nylander and Megan Klaus at 11:14 of the second period, for a power play
- Shots were 9-6 in advantage of the Hawks in the period, with eight saves for Sanchez
- Meehan scored 55 seconds into the final period, putting the Hawks in front 3-0; with assists from Gabby Monaco and Kaley Campbell
- SHU got on the board with a goal during a 4-on-3 power play at the 9:11 mark as Jayne Lewis Haley Payne
- Michaela Kane and Sanchez both made eight saves in the period for their respective teams
- The Pioneers were 3-4 on the penalty kill on the day, while scoring on 1-2 extra man chances
- Sanchez finished with 26 saves, with 22 saves for Kane
- Saint Anselm outshot the Pioneers 29-23 for the game
- SHU won 27 face-offs, with eight wins from Payne and a 7-3 mark for Katie Stueve