SHELTON, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team fell to Quinnipiac by a tight score of 2-1 tonight. With the loss the Pioneers drop to 15-5-3 overall on the season while Quinnipiac improved to 8-13-3 on the year. The Pioneers will return to action on Saturday January 19 when they stay local to face Post for a home at home series. Puck drop is set for 5:00 p.m.
- It would be the Bobcats that would strike first as at 5:41 a goal by Laura Lundblad would give Quinnipiac the 1-0 edge.
- The Pioneers would be outshoot by the Bobcats in the first period as both sides were held by tight defense as SHU attempted only two shots while Quinnipiac took eight shots.
- No penalties would be given in the first period as neither team would go on the powerplay.
- Quinnipiac would be the only team able to score in the second period as a goal at 16:06 by Melissa Samoskevich would but the Bobcats up 2-0 with just four minutes remaining in the period.
- The Pioneers would be able to attempt more shots on goal as they upped their attempts by four to give them six in the period while Quinnipiac ramped up the shots to 15 in the second period but were held to just the one goal.
- The Pioneers would be able to score their first and only goal of the game in the third period as a shot by sophomore Lexi Edwards at 1:17 in the period off an assist by freshman Nicole Guidi would cut the Bobcat lead to just one.
- But neither team would be able to score for the remainder of the period as the Pioneers attempted four shots in the period while Quinnipiac took 14.
- Edwards would tally her sixth goal of the season with her goal at the 1:17 mark as Guidi tallied her ninth assist of the year.