WINCHENDON, Mass.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey defeated Franklin Pierce 5-3 tonight to take the two game set from the Ravens. The Pioneers will return to action on Friday Feb.8 when SHU takes on NEWHA rival Saint Anselm on the road. Puck-drop is set for 4:00 p.m.
Junior Jayne Lewis would etch her name in the record books after today's game as she tallied her 100th career point as a Pioneer after she goaled a goal in the second period to put the Pioneers ahead 4-1. Prior to today's game she was two points off of reaching the 100 point mark. Her career totals to this date consist of 45 goals, 55 assists in just 89 games played.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Ravens 10 shots to nine to begin the game.
- SHU would be the first team to get on the board as freshman Kelly Solak would bank in the opening goal at 1:53 in the period off a pair of assists Lilly Cleary and Lexi Edwards to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0.
- But Franklin Pierce would tie the game up at 1-1 as Nicole Amato would score a power play goal at 12:10 in the period.
- The Pioneers wouldn't end the period without a go-ahead goal as Anna Klein would find the back of the net off a pair of assists by Jayne Lewis and Katie Stueve to take the 2-1 lead a 16:25 in the period.
- In the second period the Pioneers would once again outshoot the Ravens this time holding Franklin Pierce to eight shots while SHU tallied nine.
- All the scoring in the second period would come off of Pioneer sticks as Anna Klein would tally her second goal of the game this time at 7:12 in the period off an assist by freshman Cannday Taleghani on the power-play to put the Pioneers up 3-1.
- Then at 9:03 in the period Jayne Lewis would hit the history books with a power-play goal to give Lewis her 100th career point as well as putting the Pioneers ahead 4-1.
- In the third period the Pioneers would be held to just five shots in the period while Franklin Pierce was able to fire off 10 in the period.
- A total of three goals would be scored in the period as Haley Payne would score an empty net goal at 7:20 in the period to put the Pioneers took a 5-1 lead.
- But just forty seconds later, the Ravens Haley Parker would nail a power play goal at 8:09 to cut the Pioneers lead to 5-2.
- Then four minutes later Bridgette Prentiss would score the teams third power-play goal of the game at 12:06 to cut the lead to 5-3.
- But the Pioneers who hold strong and eventually walk away with the 5-3 victory to improve to 7-2-3 in NEWHA play while boosting to 18-5-4 overall.