ERIE, Pa.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team fell to Mercyhurst this afternoon by a final score of 5-3. The Pioneers will look to split the two game set tomorrow afternoon. Puck-drop is set for 2:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers would be outshot by the Lakers in the opening period as the Lakers attack attempted 20 shots while holding SHU to just six.
- Mercyhurst would be the first team to get on the board as a goal by Sam Isbell at 13:02 would put the Lakers ahead 1-0. The assist would be credited to Alexa Vasco.
- The Lakers would score one more in the opening period as a late powerplay goal by Maggie Knott at 14:22 would put Mercyhurst ahead 2-0 heading into the second period. Assists were granted to Megan Korzack and Alexane Rheaume.
- The second period would be all about SHU as they would tally a total of six shots on goal but were outshot by Mercyhurst as they took 16.
- The Pioneers would be the only team to score in the period though as first-year Rachel DeLong would tally her first career goal at 08:53 in the period to tighten the Laker lead to 2-1. Assists would be credited to sophomore Samantha Shoebottom and junior Kelly Solak.
- Then seven minutes later at 15:54 in the period, sophomore Anna Klein would notch her first goal of the season off assists by Solak and senior Olivia Bryant to even the score at 2-2 heading into the third period.
- The Pioneers would once again be held to single digit shots as they would only be able to fire off five while Mercyhurst tallied 18.
- The Lakers would score the first goal of the period coming at 03:50 in the period off a shot by Summer-Rae Dobson while the team was shorthanded to take a 3-2 lead.
- SHU would answer right back though as senior Maddie Bishop would tally her first goal of the year at 09:12 in the period to even the score back up at 3-3. An assist would be granted to junior Jayne Lewis.
- Mercyhurst would tally two more goals in the period courtesy of Emily Pinto at 10:51 and 17:42 both while on the power-play to give the Lakers the 5-3 victory.