MANCHESTER, N.H.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team picked up its first victory of the season as the Pioneers defeated NEWHA rival Saint Anselm tonight by a final score of 2-1. SHU will conclude the two-game set tomorrow afternoon at 3:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Hawks 10-9 in the opening period.
- Both sides would be unsuccessful on the power-play as SHU would go 0-3 while Saint Anselm was 0-2 in the period.
- It would be SHU that scored the opening goal of the game as sophomore Anna Klein ripped a shot into the back of the net off an assist by senior Maddie Bishop at 5:22 to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez would tally nine saves in the period.
- SHU continued its aggressive attack in the second period as the Pioneers outshot the Hawks 13-6 in the period.
- Saint Anselm tallied the lone goal in the period coming off a power-play goal by Jamie Gottwald at 1:40 to even the score at 1-1. Assists were credited to Katy Meehan and Kaley Campbell.
- SHU would go 0-1 on the power-play in the period while the Hawks went 1-3.
- SHU was held to just six shots on goal in the period while Saint Anselm released its offense firing off 14 shots in the period.
- The amount of shots didn't matter for SHU in the period as a goal by first-year Alexa Ocel at 11:35 off an assist by Kelly Solak propelled the Pioneers to a 2-1 victory and the team's first NEWHA and season win of the year.