SHELTON, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team fell to LIU this afternoon by a final score of 4-3. The Pioneers will look to rebound from the defeat tomorrow when they travel to LIU to complete the home-and-home set. Puck-drop is set for 4:15 p.m.
- Both defenses held tight in the opening period as neither team surrendered a goal to keep the score 0-0 heading into the second period.
- The Pioneers outshot the Sharks 10-7 in the period.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez tallied seven saves on seven shots faced.
- The SHU defense was able to contain the LIU power-play as the Sharks went 0-3 in the period.
- The goals began to fall in the second as three goals were tallied in the period.
- The first came at 3:14 off the stick of Matilda af Bjur off assists by Carrigan Umpherville and Paula Bergstrom while the Sharks were on the power-play to put LIU ahead 1-0.
- SHU answered right back off a rocket shot by senior Maddie Bishop off an assist fellow senior Victoria Grimmer in the final five minutes of the period 15:49 in to even the score at 1-1.
- Then with seconds remaining in the period sophomore Kennedy Speiring found an opening to nail the go ahead goal off assists by Bishop and sophomore Samantha Shoebotom at 19:15 to put the Pioneers ahead 2-1 heading into the third period.
- The Sharks didn't let down in the third period as Abby Latorella launched the game tying goal just 3:09 into the final period off an assist by Julia Hoffmann to even the score at 2-2.
- Just seconds later, Latorella answered again with an unassisted goal 3:26 into the period to push the Sharks ahead 3-2.
- Two unanswered goals turned to three just five minutes later into the period as Saige McKay also found the back of the net unassisted to put the Sharks ahead 4-2 8:50 into the period.
- The Pioneers attempted a comback as senior Jayne Lewis found the back of the net on the left side to put the Pioneers within tying distance 14:50 into the third period.
- Even with sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez pulled in the final minute of the game for the extra skater, the Pioneers were unable to find the back of the net resulting in a tight 4-3 loss to LIU.
- SHU outshot the Sharks 36-27 in the game.
- Neither team was successful on the power-play attempts as SHU went 0-7 while LIU was just 1-6.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez tallied 23 saves on 27 shots faced and allowed four goals.
- SHU drops to 2-7-0 overall on the year and 2-1-0 in NEWHA play.