EAST MEADOW, N.Y.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team picked up the game two victory over LIU this afternoon after a game-winning penalty shot goal in overtime by senior Victoria Grimmer propelled the Pioneers to the 5-4 victory. SHU will return to action on Friday Nov. 15 when the Pioneers travel to face Franklin Pierce. Puck-drop is set for 8:00 p.m.
- The Sharks fired more shots on goal in the opening period tallying 16 while holding SHU to 11 in the period.
- Five goals were scored in the first period first coming off the stick of the Sharks just eight seconds into the game by Megan Bouveur off assists by Stella Scott and Morgan Schauer to take a 1-0 lead.
- SHU answered right back with a goal just 44 seconds into the period off the stick of senior Jayne Lewis with an assist by Kelly Solak to even the score at 1-1.
- Bouveur wanted another goal though as she answered the call with her second of the game just 2:13 into the period with an assist by Scott to put LIU ahead 2-1.
- Then while SHU was on the power-play sophomore Cannady Taleghani netted her first goal of the season off an assist by fellow sophomore Kennedy Spiering to even the score at 2-2 5:14 into the period.
- In the closing seconds of the first period, LIU found the go-ahead goal courtesy of Paula Bergstrom 19:16 in the first period to give LIU the 3-2 lead heading into the second period.
- In the second period the Pioneers outshot the Sharks 13-9.
- SHU fired off the first goal off the period coming off the stick of sophomore Anna Klein while the Pioneers were on the power-play 9:39 into the period off a pair of assists by Solak and senior Olivia Bryant to put even the score at 3-3.
- In the final two minutes of the period LIU answered back with a goal by Matilda Af Bjur to give the Sharks a 4-3 lead heading into the third period.
- The Pioneers outshot LIU in the period 12-11.
- Neither team was able to score in the period until the final two minutes when Lewis launched the game-tying goal 18:13 into the period with the goalie pulled to send the game into overtime.
- Neither team was able to score in the period until senior Victoria Grimmer was tripped up by Linn Thomsen at 3:03 in OT sending Grimmer to attempt a penalty shot for SHU.
- She just slip the puck passed the goalie on the right side to give the Pioneers the 5-4 victory in a thriller of a game.