WINCHENDON, MA.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team took the second game of the two-game set against NEWHA rival Franklin Pierce, defeating the Ravens 4-2. Senior Jayne Lewis tallied her second career hattrick in the game posting three goals. The Pioneers will return to action on Friday, Nov. 29 when SHU hosts LIU. Puck-drop is set for 2:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers were edged in shots on goal in the period 17-13.
- Franklin Pierce jumped on the scoreboard early as a goal by Reece Diener 1:34 into the opening period put the Ravens ahead 1-0.
- Just five minutes later, the Pioneers answered right back as a breakaway goal by senior Jayne Lewis evened the score at 1-1, 6:30 into the first period.
- In the closing minutes of the period, the Raven's took the lead off a goal by Diener again this time 14:32 in the period gave Franklin Pierce a 2-1 lead heading into the second period.
- SHU outshot the Ravens in the second period as both sides stayed in single digits as the Pioneers fired off seven shots on goal while holding Franklin Pierce to just six.
- For the opening 13 minutes of the period neither side scored as both defenses pressed tightly holding neither team to a goal.
- Then 13:24 into the period, senior Jayne Lewis cashed in her second goal of the game off an assist by sophomore Anna Klein to even the score at 2-2.
- Neither side scored after the Lewis goal to keep the game even at 2-2 heading into the final period.
- The Pioneers kept firing in the third period as SHU launched 12 shots on goal while holding Franklin Pierce to just nine.
- Lewis continued her impressive day on the ice as she found the back of the net for the third time 5:22 into the period on the SHU power-play to propel the Pioneers ahead 3-2 in the game.
- The third Lewis goal was enough as the defense of sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez halted the Raven attack to no goals in the period.
- In the final seconds of the period, senior Maddie Bishop nailed an empty net goal to seal the game for SHU to give the team a 4-2 victory.
- Senior Jayne Lewis tallied her second career hattrick of her career as she cashed in three goals to up her total on the year to a team leading six goals.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez tallied 30 saves on 32 shots faced to improve her record to 4-8-0 on the year.
- Senior Olivia Bryant and sophomore Anna Klein each tallied an assist in the game.
- SHU improves to 4-8-0 overall and 4-2-0 in NEWHA play.