ROCHESTER, N.Y.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team fell to RIT 3-2 in overtime this afternoon. The Pioneers will look to even the two game set tomorrow afternoon with puck-drop set for 2:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers were outshot in the opening period 12-10.
- SHU was able hold off the Tigers in the first period holding RIT to going 0-2 on power-play chances.
- SHU jumped out to an early lead as a goal by sophomore Samantha Shoebottom fired off her second goal of the season off an assist by senior Victoria Grimmer to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0, 3:02 into the period.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez held strong in net recording 12 saves in the period.
- SHU racked up double-digits shots on goal in the period as the Pioneers tallied 13 on goal.
- The Pioneer defense held strong restricting RIT to just nine shots at the net in the period in which Sanchez was successful in saving all nine.
- The Pioneers jumped to a 2-0 lead courtesy of sophomore Kelly Solak off an assist by Samantha Shoebottom late at 14:34 into the second.
- Both sides were held to no goals on power-play as SHU went 0-3 while RIT went 0-1.
- The Pioneers were held to few shots in the period as they were only able to record three on goal in the period.
- RIT fired off 18 shots on goal in the period including two goals first coming from Ellie Larson 11:34 into the period then the game-tying goal came from Jaymee Nolan in the closing minutes at 16:55 to even the score at 2-2.
- Neither team had a chance on the power-play as no penalties were committed.
- RIT scored the game winning goal off the stick of Logan Land just 1:41 into the overtime period to give the Tigers the 3-2 victory over SHU.
- Sophomore Samantha Shoebottom led the way for the Pioneers with one goal (2nd of the year) and one assist for a multi-point game.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez recorded 38 saves on 41 shots faced.
- SHU was outshot by RIT 41-26.
- The Pioneers five-game win streak came to a close with the loss as SHU drops to 8-9 on the year.