SHELTON, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team completed the two game sweep of Saint Michael's this afternoon as SHU defeated the Purple Knights by a final score of 3-0. The Pioneers return to action on Wednesday, January 15 when they travel to take on Johnson and Wales in a non-conference matchup. Puck-drop is set for 4:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers dominated the first period as SHU fired off 13 shots on goal while holding Saint Michael's to just four.
- SHU won the faceoff battle in the first as well as SHU took faceoff wins while the Purple Knights had just six.
- Both sides went 0-2 on the power-play in the period as well.
- SHU got on the board a little passed midway off a goal by senior Jayne Lewis 11:26 into the first off a pair of assists by first-year Alexa Ocel and sophomore Anna Klein to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0 heading into the second period.
- SHU continued its offensive attack as the Pioneers fired off 18 shots on goal while holding Saint Michael's to just four.
- The Pioneers answered with another goal in the second period this time off the stick of Anna Klein 18:59 into the period off a pass by Jayne Lewis to put SHU ahead 2-0 heading into the third period.
- SHU went 0-4 on the power-play in the second while Saint Michael's went 0-2.
- SHU outshot the Purple Knights 16-5 in the period.
- The Pioneers were able to squeeze a goal in coming off the stick of Lewis again from the same duo of Alexa Ocel 16:21 into the period to give the Pioneers a 3-0 lead.
- The Pioneer defensive front held strong holding off Saint Michael's to limited shots to give SHU the eventual 3-0 shutout.
- Jayne Lewis tallied two goals in the game for the Pioneers.
- Sophomore Anna Klein had a three point day with two assists and a goal of her own.
- First-year Alexa Ocel tallied two assists.
- Junior goalie Kayla Walewski tallied 13 saves on 13 shots faced.
- SHU improves to 10-10 overall and 8-2 in NEWHA conference play.