BROOKVILLE, N.Y.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Rugby team picked up the team's first victory of the season this morning as they edged LIU by a final score of 34-14. The Pioneers will return to action on Saturday, Sept. 14 when the Pioneers travel to face AIC. Kick-off is set for 5:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers would start the half strong as junior Arianna Heonis would find the touchline early at 37:25 in the half, just three minutes in the give the Pioneers a 5-0 lead as the conversion would be unsuccessful.
- Just six minutes later, after a dominate run over 20 by first-year Makinzie Youngblood, junior Isabel Cuddy would put the Pioneers up 10-0 as she would find the touchline at 31:10.
- LIU would tighten the lead to 10-5 after tight defensive play halted the offensive attack by both sides and a conversion at 17:13 in the half would narrow the SHU lead even smaller to 10-7.
- At 1:40 a strong steal by Cuddy at the teams touchline would propel to flying down the field to score the Pioneers third try of the game and to take at 15-7 lead before the closing of the opening half.
- SHU would start the second half on a high note as well as first year Makinzie Youngblood would find the touchline at 39:00 for the first of her collegiate career to put the Pioneers ahead 20-7. Senior Kaylee Hale would make the successful conversion to put the Pioneers up 22-7.
- Just three minutes later, LIU would answer back with a try at 35:55 to tighten the SHU lead to 22-12. The Sharks would make the successful conversion to cut the SHU lead to 22-14.
- Youngblood would strike again as she would find the touchline for the second time to give the Pioneers the 27-14 lead at 30:14 in the half and a successful conversion by Kaylee Hale would increase the SHU lead to 29-14.
- It would take 20 minutes of strong defense before sophomore Nia Williams would find the touchline at 10:50 in the half to give the Pioneers a 34-14 lead.
- The Pioneers defense would hold strong for the remainder of the game as SHU prevailed over the Sharks by a final score of 34-14.
SHU Scoring Summary