FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Soccer team picked up its fourth straight Northeast Conference victory this afternoon as the Pioneers defeated LIU by a final score of 2-0. The win is also the Pioneers second straight shutout victory as SHU defeated Mount Saint Mary's on Oct. 20 3-0. SHU returns to action on Sunday Oct. 27 when the Pioneers travel to take on Bryant. Kick-off is set for 1:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers would dominate the Sharks in shots in the half as the Pioneers tallied 13 while holding LIU to just three.
- Both sides would play tight defense as neither team allowed a single goal until the 40th minute of the half.
- Then at 40:51 in the half, sophomore Linsday Savko ripped a shot passed the goalie off an assist by junior Madison Stahelski to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0 heading into the second half.
- Savko's goal would be her first of the season and Stahelski's second assist of the year
- LIU would be more aggressive in the second half as they outshot the Pioneers 7-6 in the half.
- First-year goalie Elyssa Kipperman held strong in front of the net against the Shark's attack making four saves in the half and seven total on the day.
- SHU answered early in the second half as a goal by first-year Michelle Clarkin at 51:13 off the toe-tap from Savko pushed the Pioneers a 2-0 victory over LIU.
- Clarkin's goal would be her seventh of the season which leads the team this year.
- SHU improves to 9-5-2 overall on the year and 6-1-1 in NEC play.
- LIU falls to 5-11-1 overall and 4-5-0 in NEC play.
- The Pioneers have won five out of their last six Northeast Conference play games.