FAIRFIELD, Conn.— The Sacred Heart University softball team was unable to overcome an early deficit, eventually falling to Nutmeg state counterpart Quinnipiac University 5-3 on Thursday afternoon.
The Bobcats (12-17) recorded four runs in the first two innings before the Pioneers (18-12) got on the scoreboard late at Pioneer Park.
Top of the 1st inning… Quinnipiac got on the board in the first at-bat of the game as Erin Larsen hit the leadoff home run against Kristen McCann.
Top of the 2nd inning… The Bobcats had leadoff magic once again as Miranda Magana led off the second with a home run over the left field wall. Quinnipiac had its inning extended by a Pioneer miscue in the infield with two outs. Rachel Marchuk capitalized with a two-RBI single to centerfield for the 4-0 lead.
Bottom of the 5th inning… The Pioneers got a little rally going in the fifth as Kylee Harvey recorded the one-out single. Lauren Delgadillo followed that up with a RBI double to left center field to put SHU on the board. Fallon Bevino later singled up the middle to drive in Delgadillo with two outs.
Top of the 6th inning… Keala Cordeiro responded back for the Bobcats with the one-out home run over the left field fence for the team's third long ball of the game.
Bottom of the 7th inning… Bevino went first pitch swinging against Abbey Long with a line drive home run just over the wall in left field to bring the eventual final to 5-3.
- The Pioneers outhit the Bobcats 8-5 in the game but SHU stranded nine base runners to QU's one.
- The top five in the SHU batting order produced a hit.
- SHU conceded its first multi-home run game to an opponent this season.
- Both McCann and Emily Orosco fanned five batters on the day.
- As a team, SHU has recorded 16 home runs through 31 games, one shy of the season total from a season ago.
- Bevino leads the team with nine multi-hit games on the season, she is tied for the team lead with 14 RBI.
Impending weather pushed SHU's NEC series against Mount on Saturday back to Sunday, May 6. The Pioneers will head to Stony Brook for a doubleheader on Sunday, April 8 beginning at 1:00 p.m.