LYNCHBURG, VA.- The Sacred Heart University Softball team (3-3 overall) split its first two games at the Liberty Softball Classic this morning as the team defeated Cleveland State 4-3 and fell to Quinnipiac by a final score of 8-2. The Pioneers will return to action on Saturday Mar. 2 when the Pioneers face Rutgers at 11:00 a.m. followed by Liberty at 3:00 p.m.
Sacred Heart University Pioneers (3-2 overall, 0-0 NEC)
Cleveland State Vikings (1-8 overall, 0-0 Horizon)
Game One (SHU 4, Cleveland State 3)
- Senior pitcher Kristen McCann would put away the Vikings one, two, three in the first inning to keep the score at 0-0 heading into the second.
- After Cleveland State put up three runs to kick off the second inning, the Pioneers would answer back starting with an RBI bases loaded single by senior Hailey Derosiers scoring in sophomore Caroline Kruger from third to put the Pioneers on the board, making the score 3-1.
- Then with two outs in the inning, junior Katelyn Christian would knock in a pair of runs off an RBI single through the left side to tie the game up at 3-3 heading into the third inning.
- Dominating pitching by both sides would keep the score even at 3-3 heading into the final inning as McCann would go all seven innings allowing just three runs on seven hits with all the runs coming just in the second inning.
- Then in the bottom of the seventh inning Harvey would start the inning off with a single to right field placing a runner on first with no outs.
- The next batter would be Derosiers as she would knock a double down the right field line advancing Harvey to third and placing runners on the corners with no outs.
- Then Christian would knock in the winning run courtesy of a sacrifice fly to left field scoring Harvey to give the Pioneers the 4-3 victory.
Sacred Heart University Pioneers (3-3 overall, 0-0 NEC)
Quinnipiac University Bobcats (3-4 overall, 0-0 MAAC)
Game Two (SHU 2, Quinnipiac 8)
- The Pioneers would be the first team to get on the board as an RBI single by Kylee Harvey through the left-side would score in sophomore Kira Ferraiolo from third as she had walked and advanced to third on a wild pitch. Her run would put SHU ahead 1-0 heading into the second inning.
- After neither team would be able to score in the third inning, Quinnipiac would strike tallying a total of five runs in the fourth inning to take a 5-1 lead.
- The Pioneers would attempt a comeback as sophomore Maighread Scafariello would knock in a sacrifice fly to score in freshman Brianna Santos from third to tighten the Quinnipiac lead to 5-2.
- But the Bobcats would tally three more runs in the bottom of the fifth inning putting the game out of reach which resulted in SHU falling to Quinnipiac 8-2.