GREENSBORO, N.C.- The Sacred Heart University Softball team concluded the Spartan Classic this afternoon on a high note as the Pioneers defeated both Delaware and Towson by final scores of 6-4 and 5-2. SHU will return to action Friday, Mar. 15 when SHU heads to the nation's capital for the Mason Invitational. The Pioneers face off against East Carolina first at 1:30 p.m.
Game 1: SHU 6 Delaware 4
- Bottom of the 1st- Delaware would be the first team to get on the board courtesy of an RBI double to right center to put the Blue Hens ahead 1-0
- Top of the 2nd- The Pioneers would answer right back as a freshman Alyssa Gonzalez and Briana Santos would launch a pair homeruns to give the Pioneers a 2-1 lead.
- Bottom of the 3rd- A double and a fielding error would put the Blue Hens back ahead in the game as they would take a 4-2 heading into the fourth inning.
- Top of the 4th- An RBI single by senior Hailey Desrosiers would score in the first run of the inning to creep the Pioneers to trailing 4-3. Then a sacrifice fly by junior Katelyn Christian would score in Desrosiers from third base to tie the game up at 4-4. The Desrosiers would steal home to put the Pioneers up 5-4 heading into the fifth inning.
- Top of the 6th- A RBI double by Christian would knock in the final run of the game to give the Pioneers the 6-4 victory.
- The Pioneers would outhit the Blue Hens 10 hits to four.
- Senior Hailey Desrosiers led the way for the Pioneers going 3-3 at the plate with two doubles and an RBI.
- In the circle senior Kristen McCann went all seven innings giving up just four hits and allowed four runs with five strikeouts.
Game 2: SHU 5 Towson 2
- Top of the 2nd- Towson would get on the board first with a solo home run to put the Tigers up 1-0.
- Bottom of the 2nd- The Pioneers would answer right back in the bottom of the inning as Desrosiers would rip an RBI single to left field scoring in Brianna Santos to tie the game up at 1-1. Then sophomore Kylee Harvey would knock in two runs off an RBI single to put the Pioneers ahead 3-1. Christian would then launch a double to left center scoring in two to give the Pioneers a 5-1 lead.
- Top of the 5th- A bases loaded walk would score in the runner from third to make the final score 5-2.
- Katelyn Christian would lead the way for the Pioneers as she went 3-4 from the plate, with two RBI's and one double.
- The Pioneers would outhit the Tigers eight to five.
- In the circle, sophomore Shyanne Fennel would go five innings giving up two runs, on five hits and striking out five batters.