FAIRFAX, Va.-The Sacred Heart University Softball team dropped the opening game of the Mason Invitational, falling 3-0 to East Carolina University. The loss drops the Pioneers to 8-8 on the season, while the Pirates move to 15-10 on the year.
The Pirates scored all three of their runs, unearned, in the top of the second inning. The Pioneers knocked out seven hits on the afternoon, while Kristen McCann held the Pirates to just two hits.
SHU plays the host, George Mason, Friday evening at 6:00 pm.
East Carolina 3, Sacred Heart 0
- Top of the 2nd- Sydney Griggs came around from second to score on a fielders choice and error that allowed Ashley Weingartz to reach
- Top of 2nd- Another fielder's choice, and error, this time off the bat of Morgan Halo, scored Faith Jarvis, to give the Pirates a 2-0 lead
- Top of the 2nd- Kendra Ziemba scored the third run of the inning, on a double steal
- First year Alyssa Gonzalez led the team in hits as she went 2-3 from the batters box as she tallied two singles
- The Pioneers would outhit the Pirates as SHU knocked seven while East Carolina only tallied two
- McCann fanned six on the afternoon in taking the loss and she fell to 3-5
- Whitney Sanford struck out four in her complete game win, improving to 5-4would take the loss as she went all seven innings giving up no earned runs, on two hits and striking out six