HACKENSACK, N.J.- The Sacred Heart University Softball team split its Northeast Conference opener this afternoon as the Pioneers took the first game by a score of 5-1 and fell in the second game in 11 innings by a final score of 3-2. The Pioneers get right back to action tomorrow as SHU faces Mount Saint Mary's at Pioneer Park beginning at 10:00 a.m.
SHU 5, FDU 1
- Top of the 3rd inning- An single by graduate student Fallon Bevino would advance senior Stephanie Mangiameli to third and off a throwing error she would score to give the Pioneers a 1-0 lead.
- Top of the 3rd inning- An RBI single by first year Amy Petrovich to right field would score in Bevino to put the Pioneers ahead 2-0.
- Bottom of the 3rd inning- An RBI single by Courtney Mooney would score in Summer Mendoza to cut the Pioneers lead to 2-1.
- Top of the 6th inning- Junior Katelyn Christian would rip a double to left center scoring in three runs to give the Pioneers the 5-1 victory.
- The Pioneers would dominate the batters box as SHU outhit the Knights 11 to three in the game.
- Senior Stephanie Mangiameli led the way for the Pioneers as she went 3-4 at the plate.
- Junior Katelyn Christian led the team with three RBI's in the game and posted a double as well.
- In the circle, senior Kristen McCann tallied the win to improve to 5-7 on the season going all seven innings giving up just one run on three hits and striking out seven batters.
SHU 2, FDU 3 (11 innings)
- Top of the 1st inning- First-year Amy Petrovich would reach first off a throwing error scoring in Mangiameli to give the Pioneers a 1-0 lead.
- Bottom of the 4th inning- Holly Mercier would knock in an RBI double to even the score at 1-1.
- Top of the 10th inning- Junior Katelyn Christian would rip an RBI single up the middle to score in Mangiameli to put the Pioneers ahead 2-1.
- Bottom of the 10th inning- A single by Summer Mendoza would score in Mercier to tie the game up at 2-2.
- Bottom of the 11th inning- An RBI ground out by Courtney Mahoney would give the Knights the 3-2 victory to split the series.
- Christian would lead the way for the Pioneers in game two as she would go 1-5 from the plate with an RBI.
- In the circle, sophomore Shyanne Fennell would tally the loss to drop her season record to 4-3 on the year as she gave up the game winning run to Fairleigh Dickinson.
- Senior Emily Orosco went seven innings giving up just one run on three hits and striking out a whooping 12 batters.