The Sacred Heart University women's swimming and diving team won its fifth consecutive dual meet, defeating host Monmouth University 120-71 Friday evening. The victory improves the Pioneers to 8-1 on the 2016-17 season.
The Pioneers won seven individual events on the afternoon as well as capturing the opening 200-yard medley relay. Anna Brown and Jillian Crosby were double winners for the Pioneers, partnering with Julia Pusateri and Bryana Cielo to capture the medley relay in a time of 1:54.26.
The Pioneers are back in action Saturday morning when they host Northeast Conference member Central Connecticut State University. The meet, which begins at 11:30 a.m., will be contested at the McCann Natatorium
- Crosby picked up the top spot in the 100 freestyle, touching at 54.97
- Caleigh Dion led a 1-2 sweep of the 200 freestyle, finishing at 2:03.82, with Jessica Poole second at 2:05.33
- Lauren Somers won her lone individual event, touching at 34.56 in the 50 freestyle
- Kim Hylan placed second on the 100 free at 57.04 for the Pioneers
- SHU swept the top three spots in the 100 backstroke, with Brown capturing the top spot at 1:01.19
- Julia Pedersen notched the win in the 100 breaststroke, finishing at 1:12.05
- Emily Shenk and Renee Russo were second and third in the 100 back
- Hylan earned the win in the 1,000 freestyle for the Pioneers, touching at 11:09.14
- Sarah Hensal gave the Pioneers a win in the 500 freestyle, capturing the race at 5:32.16, four seconds clear of Lindsey Dell'Isola
- Kaylyn Cuozzo finished second in the 1,000, with a time of 11:54.72