The Sacred Heart University swimming and diving team completed its opening weekend of competition at a double dual hosted by Central Connecticut State. The Pioneers fell 200-137 to the host Blue Devil and 242 to 105 to St. Bonaventure.
Lauren Somers placed second in all of her events, defeating all NEC competition on the weekend. Rookie Margaret Flaherty followed up her record breaking 1,000 swim from Friday with a second place finish in the 500 freestyle.
The Pioneers are back in action on Saturday, October 21 at Iona in a double dual with Wagner.
- Anna Brown (28.99), Jessie Poole (32.88), Emily Peter (26.31), and Lauren Somers (24.29) combined to place third in the 200 medley relay
- Lauren Spencer (30.75), Julia Pusateri (33.20), Nikole Rudis (28.48), and Kaylyn Cuozzo (26.30) teamed up for a fifth place finish
- Flaherty notched a 5:15.74 swim in the 500 freestyle, good for second place
- Somers time of 52.92 was good for second place in the 100 freestyle
- Kimberly Hylan's 5:26.53 was good for fifth place in the 500
- Peter placed second in the 100 butterfly, finishing at 59.25
- Spencer swam a 2:14.43 200 backtstroke, good for fourth place, just in front her teammate Brown, who finished at 2:15.16
- Jessie Poole was the Pioneers top finisher in the 200 breastroke, with a swim of 2:35.44
- Sarah Hensal touched sixth in the 400 IM with a swim of 5:01.99
- Nicole Pergolotti placed fifth in the 1-meter diving, scoring 145.45 points