The Sacred Heart University swimming and diving team placed sixth overall with 283.5 total points at the 2019 Northeast Conference Swimming and Diving Championship.
The conference honored eight graduating Pioneers; Meredith Bertoni, Kaylyn Cuozzo, Dee Henry, Kim Hylan, Jaclyn Pianese, Jessica Poole, Renee Russo, and Nicole Sauve prior to the start of the last finals session.
Margaret Flaherty swam the mile with a time of 17:16. 60, bringing home silver for the Pioneers. Junior Lauren Somers posted a new school record in the 100-yard freestyle (51.15). The record was broken by Somers in the preliminary session and reset again this evening. The 400-freestyle relay broke the university record with a final time of 3:30.86, making them the sixth fastest in the NEC.
At the conference meet the Pioneers broke seven school records, making it eleven total new records this season.
Bryant won the Northeast title for the second consecutive year with 863.50 points. Central Connecticut placed second with 600 points. Saint Francis U (485. 50) in third and Wagner College (473. 50) in fourth place. LIU Brooklyn placed fifth with 377 points followed by the Pioneers with 283.5 points. St. Francis Brooklyn took seventh with 270 points followed by Mount St. Mary's (152) in eighth place.
- Margaret Flaherty (17:16.60) posted a season best time taking 2nd place overall. Her performance earned 17 points for the Pioneers
- Nicole Sauve went a lifetime best swim of 17:58.89 placing her 11th overall
- Shanna Haddow finished with a season best time of 18:31.69
- Natasha Davila competed in her first ever mile with a time of 19:43.58
- Taylor Eck improved on her morning swim touching at a 2:09.65, a best collegiate time to date
- Kim Hylan posted a 2:10.37, .37 seconds faster than her preliminary time
- Lauren Somers finished in 6th place with a swim of 51.15 topping her own school record
- Emily Peter won the C Final with a lifetime best time of 53.02
- Jessica Poole (2:26.05) touched 1st in the C final closing her college swim career with a season-best time
- Julia Pusateri (2:29.62) improved her morning swim by over 2 seconds
- Nicole Tingley tied for 2nd in the B Final with a time of 2:08.02
- Nikole Rudis went a 2:13.59, second fastest swim in the B Final heat
- Fiona Maxwell touched with a swim of 2:14.80, improving her preliminary swim by over 4 seconds
- Meredith Bertoni dropped time from the morning session putting up a 2:17.82
400 Freestyle Relay
- Sacred Heart's A relay posted a new school record. Peter (53.91), Grace Bergstrom (53.18), Tingley (53.02) and Somers (50.75) placed sixth with a final time of 3:30.86
The Sacred Heart University swimming and diving team concluded their final preliminary session of the 2019 Northeast Conference Championship, at Nassau County Aquatic Center.
Lauren Somers broke her own university record in the 100 freestyle with a new time of 51.67. She will swim the event tonight in the A Final. First-year Nicole Tingley placed tenth in the preliminary heats of the 200 fly (2:09.15) and will return for the B Final.
The Pioneers have ten returning swims this evening. The Pioneers also have four swims in the 1650-yard freestyle timed final. The mile heats will begin at 4:20pm with the top 8 competing at 6pm.
- Taylor Eck went a colligiate-best time of 2:10.39 to take 22nd place
- Kim Hylan took 24th place with a time of 2:10.74
- Aleksandra Dauz swam a lifetime best touching at 2:18.29
- Somers went 51.67, seeding her 8th for tonights A Final. Her swim earned her the new university record.
- Emily Peter (53.62) placed 23rd and will compete in the C Final
- Kaylyn Cuozzo (56.36) swim a career-best time while Grace Bergstrom went a collegiate-best time of 55:03
- Jessica Poole (2:27.68) and Julia Pusateri (2:32.07) will swim in tonights C Final
- Renee Russo finished her collegiate career in the event with a season-best time of 2:38.08
- Nicole Tingley is tenth for tonight's B Final with a time of 2:09.15
- Nikole Rudis (2:12.65), Meredith Bertoni (2:18.58 ) and Fiona Maxwell (2:19:01), swam season-bests qualify for the C Final
400 Freestyle Relay
- Relay team of Russo (56.67), Dauz (55.70), Catizone (57.05), and Cuozzo (56.10) went a final time of 3:45.51.