FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Swimming and Diving team took second place at the Fairfield Invite this morning to kick-off the 2019 season. The Pioneers will return to action on Saturday, October 12 when SHU competes at Central Connecticut State.
- Sophomore Molly Martin dominated the women's 1 meter and 3 meter diving events as she took first place in both with scores of 193.7 in the 1 meter which was 10 points higher than the second place finisher Caitlin Campbell from Fairfield U as she tallied a score of 183.5. In the 3 meter, Martin tallied a score of 221.84 which gave her first place ahead of second place finisher and teammate Megan McLaughlin as she tallied an impressive score of 193.87. McLaughlin took third in the 1 meter diving event placing a score of 170.00.
- Senior Lauren Somers won the 200, 50, and 100 free-style events and anchored a come from behind swim to aid in the Pioneers victory in the 400 free-style relay which helped up win the invitational. Somers placed a time of 2:11.80 in the 200 free just milliseconds ahead of the second place finisher. While in the 50 meter free she swam an impressive time of 27.25 to take first in the event. Lastly in the 100 free, she took first with a time of 59.38.
- Freshman Kelly Bartnett claimed her first win at a collegiate event earning first in the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:07.12, and placed third in the 50 meter free with a time of 27.91, and third as well in the 300 meter free-style with a time of 1:01.95 and was the second leg of the winning 400 meter free-style relay.
- Freshman Casey Barrett earned her first collegiate victory as she won the 200 IM with a time of 2:31.49 and also took second in 200 meter back-stoke, and fourth in 100 meter back-stroke.
- Junior Emily Peter won the 100 meter butterfly with a time of 1:06.6 , and led off the winning 400 free-style relay plus the butterfly leg of the 200 medley relay.
- Sophomore Nicole Tingley came in second in the 100 meter-butterfly, fifth in the 200 meter free-style and second in the the 200 medley relay and was the third leg of the winning 400 free relay.
- In the team 400 meter free relay the Pioneers took the winning time of 4:04.96 to claim first.
- Freshmen Jillian Pusateri took fifth in the 800 meter free-style.
- Freshmen Alivia Gibson claimed fifth in 100 meter backstroke.
- Junior Fiona Maxwell took fifth in both the 200 meter-butterfly and 200 IM.
- Freshmen Ashley Ayala took fifth in the 100 meter-butterfly.
Final Team Scores
1. Central Connecticut State University- 474
2. Sacred Heart University- 453
3. Fairfield University - 444
4. Pace University - 125
5. Southern CT State University - 96