NEW HAVEN, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Tennis team defeated Holy Cross this afternoon by a final score of 4-3. The team will return to action on Sunday Mar. 3 when SHU hosts Stony Brook. Match-time is set for 5:30 p.m.
Three Pioneers would win in the singles contests as sopohmore Laura Crivei would defeat Sophia Papa 6-2, 6-2. In the fifth match, junior Maggie Glynn would defeat Jen Kary 6-1, 7-5 while in the following match, first-year Macy Wardius would defeat Caroline Kam 6-4, 6-4.
The Pioneers would take two of three doubles matches as well as the duo of junior Brianne Lauria and sopohmore Keria Tobia would defeat Allison Reiling and Katya Martin 6-4 while Crivei and sophomore Lauren Santarsiero would defeat Sophia Papa and Morgan McGuire 6-1 to earn the Pioneers the 4-3 victory.
1. Allison Reiling (HC) def. Keira Tobia (SHU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Laura Crivei (SHU) def. Sophia Papa (HC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Maddie DeNucci (HC) def. Sabrina Navarro (SHU) 6-1, 1-6, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Morgan McGuire (HC) def. Nicole Vassalle (SHU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Maggie Glynn (SHU) def. Jennifer Kary (HC) 6-1, 7-5
6. Macy Wardius (SHU) def. Caroline Kam (HC) 6-4, 6-4