BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team (13-14-3, 12-10-2 AHA) came out victorious in the second game of the two game set against RIT with a 4-3 overtime victory. The Pioneers will return to action Friday, Feb 22 when SHU hosts Army West Point for the final home regular season game. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
- The first period would be a quiet one as neither team would be able to score a goal in the first to keep the score 0-0 heading into the second period.
- Both sides each took eight shots respectively as both defenses were able to hold each side to little opportunities to get on the board.
- The Pioneers did have two chances early in the period to capitalize on the power-play but they were unable to find the back of the net on both attempts.
- The second period would come with more promise as the Pioneers fired off 11 shots in the period while holding RIT to just five.
- But it would be the Tigers would strike first as at 10:14 in the period Abbott Girduckis would score the opening goal of the game to put RIT ahead 1-0.
- The Pioneers would respond just eight minutes later in the period as freshman Austin Magera would score his first goal of the game at 18:08 off a pair of assists by sophomore Mark Johnstone and senior Liam Clare to even the score at 1-1.
- Magera's goal was the first goal ever scored against RIT at Webster Bank Arena.
- The third period would consists of four of the seven goals scored in the entire game.
- While both sides were held to just single digit shots in the third, both sides were able to need a pair of goals in the period.
- RIT started the scoring in the third period as Andrew Petrucci put the Tigers ahead 2-1 with a goal at 2:19 in the period.
- But the Pioneers would answer right back with a pair of goals back to back first coming off the stick of freshman Nick Boyagian off a pair of assists by seniors Mike Lee and Liam Clare to tie the game up at 2-2 at 8:40.
- Then not long after Clare would want a piece of the action as he netted his first goal of the season at 14:10 off dual assists by freshman Todd Goehring and Ryan Steel to put the Pioneers ahead 3-2.
- RIT would have the final say in the third those as Will Calverley would net the game tying goal at 18:50 to tie the game up at 3-3 sending the game into overtime.
- Only three shots would be taken in the overtime period but one was enough for Magera as he would fire off the game winning goal for the Pioneers at 4:21 in the period to give the Pioneers the 4-3 victory.