SHU’s Third Quarter Woes Continue in 9-7 Loss to Bryant

SHU’s Third Quarter Woes Continue in 9-7 Loss to Bryant

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – For the second straight game, the Sacred Heart University men's lacrosse team held a one-goal lead over a Northeast Conference opponent at the half.  And for the second straight game, the Pioneers went scoreless in the third quarter, this time spelling a 9-7 loss to Bryant University in the rain on Campus Field, Saturday evening.  The loss dropped SHU to 4-7 overall and 1-2 in the NEC, while the Bulldogs improved to 7-6 and 2-1.

The Pioneers notched the first score of the game when senior midfielder Billy Skelos (Lynbrook, N.Y.) quickly cleared the ball up the field and found freshman long-stick mid Tim Caton (East Rochester, N.Y.) for the opening score, less than three minutes into the game.  With 3:51 to play in the first stanza, Bryant tied it at one on an unassisted score by freshman Kevin Sherrill.  Sacred Heart regained the lead when sophomore attack Bryan Badolato (West Islip, N.Y.) found the back of the net just over a minute later.  Badolato went sky high for a pass from freshman attack Mike Mawdsley (Innisfil, Ont.) and brought it down right in front of the goal and immediately fired it in.

In the second quarter, the Bulldogs took the lead on back-to-back goals by senior midfielder Evan Roberts and junior attack Travis Harrington.  Near the midway point of the frame, the Pioneers would take back the lead on back-to-back goals of their own.  First, Mawdsley scopped up a groundball and delivered it to Badolato for their second hook-up of the game, followed by a snipe from 15 yards out by sophomore attack Trevor Dauses (Glen Arm, Md.) to give SHU a 4-3 lead at the break.

The third quarter was déjà vu for the Pioneers, who were outscored 6-0 in the third of last week's 11-7 home defeat to Mount St. Mary's.  This time Sacred Heart only gave up five goals, while being blanked for the period.  Senior midfielder Gary Crowley scored the first two for the Bulldogs and sophomore attack Peter McMahon added two more, while Roberts chipped in with his second of the night.  McMahon's second goal came on a man-up opportunity with 4:18 to play in the quarter and held up for the game-winning score.

Junior midfielder Aaron Lupo (Schenectady, N.Y.) got the Pioneers back on track with his seventh goal of the season coming in the first two minutes of the fourth.  Bryant would suppress any SHU momentum with another man-up score, this time by freshman attack Dan Sipperly, at the 9:47 mark.  Halfway through the frame, Mawdsley netted his team-leading 22nd goal of the year, assisted by Badolto, to cut the lead to 9-6.  Sacred Heart wouldn't get any closer until there was 2:17 left and Dauses tallied his second of the night to trim the lead to 9-7, but that was the last rush the Pioneer attacks could put together.

Junior netminder Jameson Love needed only six saves to earn the win for the Bulldogs, who outshot the Pioneers 43-23 for the game.  Senior goalie Zach Frank (Islip Terrace, N.Y.) stopped 12 shots for SHU.

The Pioneers return to action with an NEC contest at Quinnipiac next Saturday, April 23 at 1:00 pm.