Men's Lacrosse Falls 12-10 To Stony Brook At Campus Field

Men's Lacrosse Falls 12-10 To Stony Brook At Campus Field

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Sacred Heart men's lacrosse team led Stony Brook 5-1 after the first quarter Saturday afternoon at Campus Field, but could not hold off the hard-charging Seawolves as Stony Brook rallied for a 12-10 win. Saturday's game was the first meeting all-time between the Pioneers and Stony Brook.

Junior attack Matt Gannon (Huntington, N.Y.) led Sacred Heart with four points on the day. Gannon scored a goal and added a game-high three assists. Cody Marquis (Londonderry, N.H.) had two goals and an assist. Matt King (Brewster, N.Y.) and Mike Mawdsley (Innisfil, Ont.) each had two goals. Jon Flood (Bay Shore, N.Y.) made 10 saves in goal as Stephen Kontos (Danvers, Mass.) led the Pioneers with five ground balls.

Sacred Heart (0-6) dominated the first quarter. Marquis got the Pioneers on the board less than two minutes into the game as back-to-back King tallies made the score 3-0 with 6:23 remaining in the first quarter. Marquis then put Sacred Heart ahead 4-0 with a goal from Alex Miller (Ridgewood, N.J.) with 1:31 left in the opening period. Shane Foley (South Brunswick, N.H.) then made the score 5-0 with a goal with 33 seconds remaining in the first.

Stony Brook (5-3) got on the scoreboard with two seconds remaining in the first when Cole Millican ran the length of the field and scored to make the score 5-1. Millican's goal sparked the Seawolves in the second quarter. Stony Brook outscored the Pioneers 5-0 in the second period as Jeff Tundo, Brody Eastwood, Mike Rooney, and Challen Rogers all scored to give the Seawolves a 6-5 lead at halftime.

The Pioneers tied the game 6-6 with 6:37 remaining in the third quarter when Joe Burek (Kinnelon, N.J.) fired a Gannon pass right between Stony Brook goalie Pat McGushin's legs. The Seawolves took back the lead with 4:25 to play in the third when Mike Andreassi scored a man-up goal, making the score 7-6. Once again, Sacred Heart would level the game as Cutty Diamond tallied his second goal of the season with under two minutes left in the quarter to make the score 7-7 heading into the fourth quarter.

The Seawolves took the lead again with 12:11 to play in the game as Rooney scored man-up to give Stony Brook an 8-7 advantage. Mawdsley tied the game 8-8 one minute later with an assist from Marquis. Kontos then won the ensuing faceoff and found Mawdsley in front of the goal. Mawdsley scored his second goal in five seconds to put the Pioneers ahead 9-8 with 11:07 to play. Stony Brook responded with back-to-back goals from Rogers to take a 10-9 lead. The Seawolves extended the lead to 12-9 before Gannon's goal got Sacred Heart within two, 12-10, 2:27 left to play. However, the Pioneers would be stymied for the remainder of the game as Stony Brook won by two.

Stony Brook outshot Sacred Heart 44-25 for the game, and 28-10 in the second half. The Seawolves also won 15 of 26 faceoffs and held a 33-30 edge in ground balls. Rogers led Stony Brook with three goals as Rooney and Tundo each had four points on two goals and two assists each.

The Pioneers return to action on Wednesday, March 20th with a 7 p.m. game at Hartford.