FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Softball team dropped both games in the doubleheader against LIU Brooklyn this afternoon as the Pioneers fell in the first game by a score of 5-0 and fell just short in the second by a score of 2-1. SHU returns to action tomorrow as the Pioneers host Central Connecticut State as they look to rebound from a five-game loosing skid. First-pitch is set for 12:00 p.m.
SHU 0 LIU 5
- Top of the 2nd inning- A single to second base by Katie Hinkle would score in the teams first run of the game to put LIU Brooklyn ahead 1-0.
- Top of the 3rd inning- A sacrifice fly to left field by Alina Castillo would score in a runner from third to give the Blackbirds a 2-0 lead.
- Top of the 3rd inning- An RBI single by Samantha Garcia would score in Schae Dickson to give LIU a 3-0 lead. Garcia would be thrown out attempting to go to second base.
- Top of the 4th inning- A RBI double to left center by Patricia Griffin would score in Hinkle to give LIU a 4-0 lead.
- Top of the 7th inning- Dickson would score off a wild pitch to eventually give LIU Brooklyn the 5-0 victory over SHU.
- The Pioneers would be outhit in the ball-game as LIU knocked 10 hits while holding SHU to just five.
- At the plate, first-year Alyssa Gonzalez led the way for the Pioneers as she went 2-3 with two doubles.
- In the circle sophomore Shyanne Fennell would tally the loss for the Pioneers as she went four innings allowing four runs on seven hits with one strikeout.
SHU 1 LIU Brooklyn 2
- Top of the 2nd inning- Patricia Griffin would knock a single to right center scoring in Amanda Domingo to put LIU ahead 1-0.
- Bottom of the 3rd inning- First-year Amy Petrovich would launch a double to centerfield scoring in senior Stephanie Mangiameli to tie the game up at 1-1.
- Top of the 7th inning- An RBI single by Camryn Lyman would give the Blackbirds the game winner to defeat SHU 2-1.
- The Pioneers would be outhit in the game as LIU tabbed seven hits while holding SHU to just five.
- At the plate, senior Hailey Desrosiers led the way going 2-4 with two singles.
- In the circle, senior Emily Orosco would tally the loss going all seven innings allowing just seven hits on two runs with seven strikeouts.